-
July 12th, 2002, 01:41 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Pass out the see-gars, boys, and drinks are on me. Just got note-e-fied by PayPal that the 100th order came through this evening! I would have never thought in a million years that this endeavor would have been so successful. I have shipped units to countries such as the USA, Canada, Great Britain, Germany, Finland, Norway, Italy, Australia as well as California. [img]wink.gif[/img]
I have orders in house for Ireland and Spain as well some interesting ones for Texas Tech's archival film department and one pending for the State University of New York once they get the P.O together.
I've had about a dozen inquiries about shipping a DV8 overseas but no takers yet. Of course, I'd have to personally go there to set it up. [img]smile.gif[/img]
In all, it has been very satisfying. I don't think that my efforts are necessarily prolonging the life of super 8 but it is fun to think that, some day when film has been long gone, there might be a coffee table book about odd home movies devices produced in the last days of super 8. Maybe, just maybe, there might be a little footnote about the WorkPrinter.
Anyway, thanks to all that have kept the WorkPrinter alive in the discussion groups where Google seems to find it!
Live long and perspire,
Roger
-
July 12th, 2002, 01:50 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Congrats!
I'm still considering dropping you some of my stuff. Also, you never responded about compiling a demo from a previous post. Is it a waste of time, being that the free test is so successful? Don't worry - you won't hurt my feelings.
-
July 12th, 2002, 02:06 AM
#3
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by GREATwarEAGLE:
I'm still considering dropping you some of my stuff. Also, you never responded about compiling a demo from a previous post.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think that a demo is a great idea and we are about to get a DVD burner so we'll see how that goes. The only thing is that most people want to see what THEIR footage looks like transferred. And, frankly, that is really the best way for them to make the decision about our services or products. If we (my wife and I) offer a demo, people would probably get that and ALSO send in their footage for a free test transfer. Since we have to offer the free test transfer, then the free demo almost becomes moot. But, it would simplify a lot. Anyway, thanks for the congrats and we're trying to work out the demo issue.
Roger
-
July 12th, 2002, 02:30 AM
#4
Inactive Member
I agree people want to see what THEIR footage looks like. But other things to consider:
-maybe they're trying to decide film or video for their project, have never shot film and are concerned about high cost - a demo of your economic alternative to a Rank might persuade them
-the demo could include brief clips of ALL super 8 stocks, to broaden awareness of it's range(some people only shoot certain stocks)
-the demo could be compared to the customer's free test, so they see how other people's stuff looks
-a demo lends credibility to the skeptical customer who is weary of sending you their precious film- it's an introduction
And, maybe the demo isn't free. $5 bucks or so is reasonable. Or, the demo's free, and the test is discounted.
-
July 12th, 2002, 02:43 AM
#5
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by GREATwarEAGLE:
And, maybe the demo isn't free. $5 bucks or so is reasonable. Or, the demo's free, and the test is discounted.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your other points are valid, especially about comparing the various usable stocks like, how does Kodacrome compare with, uh... er, well how does Kodachrome compare with Kodachrome? [img]wink.gif[/img]
Just kidding. I think that is a good idea and we've thought about charging the $5 or so for the demo. I just wasn't sure if people would want to pay it. We don't mind doing the free transfer as the person has to pay for return shipping but with a free demo, we could easily end up paying for several hundred dollars per month in postage if we ship them out for free. Gets kind of tricky. Still, we're considering it. Perhaps charging for the demo is a workable idea.
Thanks!
Roger
-
July 12th, 2002, 11:57 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Congratulations! We all love a success story especially where super 8 is concerened. May you go from strength to strength.
-
July 12th, 2002, 02:54 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Congrats, Roger!
I remember when you were first thinking about this service...I am glad it has turned out to be a success!
I will be sending you my fifty-foot roll soon as well as a roll of the Velvia footage as soon as I get it back from the clutches of Super-8 Sound!
Chas
-
July 12th, 2002, 05:19 PM
#8
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by cameraguy:
In case I ever make my own version of Trivial Pursuit, who bought the very first Workprinter?? [img]graemlins/present.gif[/img] </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
The first true "production line" workprinter was purchased by Matt Pacini. I had previously lent a couple of the older style non-condenser lens units to a few people to try out and then purchase later but the first to lay down the cash was Matt.
Roger
-
July 13th, 2002, 03:27 AM
#9
Inactive Member
In case I ever make my own version of Trivial Pursuit, who bought the very first Workprinter?? [img]graemlins/present.gif[/img]
-
July 13th, 2002, 07:57 AM
#10
tfunch24
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MovieStuff:
Your other points are valid, especially about comparing the various usable stocks like, how does Kodacrome compare with, uh... er, well how does Kodachrome compare with Kodachrome? [img]wink.gif[/img]
</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Aside from comparing Kodachrome to Ektachrome (or, for that matter, Tri-X to Plus X) the demo could highlight how "older" Kodachrome (footage filmed in the 1950s and 1960s) compares with how "newer" Kodachrome (footage filmed in the 1970s and 1980s (yes, there was home movie footage shot on S8 in the '80s; I have the footage to prove it)) transfers to a video format. I've found that K40 shot before 1975 or so has a "glossier" look, especially in open sunlight.
I'm planning on operating my own local telecine business with my VC-20 and have been pondering whether I should offer a demo tape of home movie footage that I put together or should I make like Roger and have people submit their own footage for transfer. I'm leaning towards the former--it would be faster.
Tom
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks